Date added: 24/08/2016 The Q&A Series Part 1: Martin Coombes
The Q&A Series Part 1: Martin Coombes
1. How old were you when you joined John Pass and what drew you to the role?
Luck drew me to the role and everything happened very quickly. I was 16 and my father came into the business one day to have his watch repaired and asked Mr Pass senior (the founder of the company) if he took apprentices on and it all started there. I left school on the Friday and started on the Monday, and never looked back. The rest was history.
2. What has made you stay all these years?
I love the job that I do and seeing people satisfied. The family unit element is extremely unique. Working alongside Stephen Latham in the workshop when I started was constantly exciting and I echo Stephen’s ‘I’d have worked here for nothing’.
3. What is your favourite thing about the job?
The variety. No one day is ever the same.
4. What has been your funniest day at work?
I once bought a Labrador puppy and brought it into work late one evening before we closed – my wife bought him in. The next morning I bought a plastic dog poo into work and placed it on the floor by one of the counters. John Pass went crazy and requested it was cleared up. He then proceeded to move the shop around to cover it until it was moved. He carried it in with a spade out to the yard and began to realise the funny side of things. There were many days like this.
5.Do you have a favourite piece that you have worked on during your time here?
No not really – there is such a large volume of pieces passing through my hands every day and they often have an interesting story attached to them.
6. If you were working elsewhere, where would it be?
7. Who would play you in a film of your life?
The American actor and novelist Gene Hackman.
8. If you could invite one celebrity, dead or alive, to dinner, who would it be?
The Team at John Pass